After a long day at school or at work, one deserves a sleeping sanctuary where he/she can feel relaxed and comfortable. What better way to improve your sleeping experience than to have a bedroom, which is suitable for your own taste? Design and furnishings are two big factors that make up the overall aesthetic appeal of a room, and these all depend on the size of the bedroom, but size alone should not hinder a good sense of style.
Here is a list of nine bedroom design ideas to consider: five of which are fancy bedroom design ideas for those with spacious and luxurious bedrooms and the remaining four are delightful bedroom design ideas for smaller and cozier bedrooms.
For Spacious Bedrooms
1. Classic and Traditional – There is a reason why a certain design idearemains “classic” – it is timeless and never forgotten. While the design trend may change and modernize, there will always be bedroom styles that can incorporate the traditional styles with the more modern ones. To give off that classic vibe in a bedroom, the colors and furniture that you wish to place must be taken into consideration. For instance, color palettes involving ivory and gold, and sometimes purple too, are almost always present in curtains, sheets, and even furniture. Majestic and luxurious beds (usually those with canopies) are the main emphasis, and the use of bold art pieces, such as chandeliers, are integrated to create a magnificent look.
2. Contemporary – Contemporary design is not restricted to a single stylistic trend; instead, it is basically all about the different styles that are used right now. It is innovative and rooted in modern design. It usually involves linear and lustrous designs with monochromatic colors. For a bedroom to look contemporary, the walls must be straight and must not have accents while large windows made of glass can be used to give off that clean, modern look. Since the two bedroom design ideas above were generally aesthetic, the next bedroom design ideas will be minor and more basic.
3. Wooden Boards and Panels – For that rustic, natural and warm feeling, wooden panels are great on the walls especially for those that are painted cleanly with a bright white color. If the colors of the ceiling and floor are dark, warm wood with cream colors can brighten up the whole room, thereby giving it a sense of balance, formality and elegance. To add more character and bring the outdoors, especially that cottage or beach house feeling into your own room, horizontal planks can specifically be paneled on the walls and especially behind the bed headboard. For rooms with low ceilings, planks can also be installed vertically to create an illusion of height.
4. Canopy Beds with Dreamy Curtains – Those who can afford and have space for it can get themselves a classy, canopy bed for sophistication. These beds are decorative and more or less similar to 4-poster beds since they usually have posts at each of the four corners – ranging until four or five feet above the bed mattress. However, canopy beds are not restricted to 4-post designs, and there are many other ornamental ideas that you can incorporate in them. To give a classy and fairytale-like feeling in the bedroom, you can top these beds with mosquito-net canopy curtains with minimal design or just a soft, translucent fabric of any color choice.
5. Black and White Colors – Using black and white colors has a slight possibility of giving off a terrible, plastic sensation in a room, but if done right and if put strategically on the right places, these colors can turn a bedroom into one of the most refined and classy space ever been designed.
Black and white colors are also usually used to create that modern and urban look. As a tip, an accent wall with ebony paint – one that is matte and airy – usually works especially when contrasted with the whites in the room, e.g. sheets and end table. It is also important to make sure that there is decent lighting as black-painted walls can make the room look dark.
For Smaller Bedrooms
6. Minimalistic – In an effort to make a limited space look larger than it is, minimalistic designs are usually the best principles to adopt. For bed frames, it is better to opt for modern, platform ones or metal ones. It is especially important that it looks very clean and has no intricate design. Usually, functional furniture with no distracting design will suffice, such as a basic nightstand and a traditional drawer. A minimalist décor or art piece can be placed as long as it is minimal but poignant. As with spacious bedroom design ideas, the next bedroom design ideas for rooms with small spaces will be more about basic details.
7. Neat Loft Beds – A sturdy loft bed is convenient for a bedroom with a small space because it allows someone to use the same floor space again. A lot of other furniture, such as a desk and a chair, sofa cushions or another mattress for those who would like a guest, can be placed under the loft bed. This is a neat and resourceful trick to maximize space, and create an illusion of more space. Modern design such as the usage of monochromatic colors usually work well with loft beds to make it more stylish. If the ceiling isn’t too high to put bulky furniture under the loft bed, a short storage area may be placed under it instead to still reclaim the space.
8. No Headboards – If loft beds aren’t feasible, you can still maximize a small bedroom space by purchasing a bed without a headboard and try designing the wall instead to compensate for the lack of it. This is unconventional but budget-friendly. The wall design ideas are endless, but some of the most popular ones include hanging a painting or a piece of art, building a floating mini-shelf for books and/or pictures, or strategically placing the bed under a window adorned with sassy fabric to create an impression of canopy curtains.
9. Soft Color Tones – White is probably the most versatile color, and it is suitable for small bedroom spaces. However, there are instances when the white color can be a bit stark and cold, so for alternatives, you can opt for soft color tones, instead. These include cream, ivory, and lighter shades of grey, green, and blue. Or if one is feeling bold, darker shades of color can also create an illusion of space as long as you do it properly and complement it with the size and color of the accessories and furniture.
In conclusion, there is really no right or wrong answer when it comes to bedroom design. It will always depend on your preference and budget, so you should not be afraid to let your creative and resourceful side out and experiment your room using these bedroom design ideas.